During the 2013-2014 school year, a pilot study was conducted by Eastern Illinois University with the KLBA administered in the fall, winter, and spring. Participants included 114 culturally and linguistically diverse kindergarten students. The Clinical Evaluation of Language Fundamentals- Fifth Edition Screening was also administered in the winter to examine concurrent validity (i.e. how well an assessment related to an existing measure).
During the 2014-2015 school year, a new study will include 500 additional students. Research from this additional study will be included in the first edition of the KLBA
Test Development Research Support
- Allen, Ukrainetz & Carswell, “The Narrative Language Performance of Three Types of At-Risk First Grade Readers.” Language, Speech, Hearing Services in Schools, 2012.
- Flahive, L.K. & Lanza, J.R. Guide to Communication Milestones. Linguiystems, Inc., 2008.
- Geva, Esther and Fataneh, Farnia. “Developmental Changes in the Nature of Language Proficiency and Reading Fluency Paint a More Complex View of Reading Comprehension in ELL and SLI.” Reading and Writing, 2012.
- Bornstein, Marc and Martha Arterberry. “The Development of Object Categorization in Young Children: Hierarchical Inclusiveness, Age, Perceptual Attribute, and Group Versus Individual Analysis.” Developmental Psychology, 1998.
- deVilliers & deVilliers. Language Acquisition. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1978.
- Mareschal, Powell & Volein, “Basic Level Category Discrimination by 7 and 9 Month Olds in an Object Examination Task.” Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 2003.
- Justice, L., Bowles, R., Pence, K. & Gosse, C. “A Scalable Tool for Assessing Children’s Language Abilities within a Narrative Context: The NAP (Narrative Assessment Protocol).” Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 25, 218-234, 2010.
- Justice, Laura; Mashburn, Andrew; Petscher, Yaacov. “Very Early Language Skills of Fifth-Grade Poor Comprehenders.” Journal of Research in Reading, May, 2013.
- Gillam, Sandra and Laura Justice. “RTI Progress Monitoring Tools: Assessing Primary-Grade Students in Response to Intervention Programs.” The ASHA Leader, September, 2010.
- Partyka, Cynthia and Janet Kresheck. “A Comparison of Categorization Skills of Normal and Language Delayed Children in Early Elementary School.” Language, Speech, Hearing Services in Schools, 1983.
- Tompkins, Virginia; Guo, Ying; Justice, Laura M. “Inference Generation, Story Comprehension, and Language Skills in the Preschool Years.” Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal, v26 n3 p. 403-429 Mar 2013.
- UIkrainetz, T. “The Implications of RTI and EBP for SLPs: Commentary on LM Justice.” Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in the Schools, 37, 298-303, 2006.
- Vaughn, S. Linan-Thompson, S. & Hickman-Davis, P. “Response to Treatment as a Means of Identifying Students with Reading/Learning Disabilities.” Exceptional Children, 69, 391-409, 2003.